Friday, February 26, 2010

As a property owner, am I liable for my house guest?

I have a friend staying with me long-term. He is not paying rent, and we haven't made a contract for the living arrangement. I plan to let him stay until he's able to get back on his feet. If he hurts himself or burns down the apartment, am I liable? If so, is there some kind of insurance to cover his visit? Or does homeowner's insurance cover the visit?As a property owner, am I liable for my house guest?
homeowners should cover most incidentsAs a property owner, am I liable for my house guest?
I dont know if you live in an apartment or a home...if you live in an apartment, you should REALLY have renter's insurance to cover the loss of your belongings if the unit ever burned down (regardless of how it caught fire). It's cheap, but I dont believe it covers anything like medical payments if your roommate were to hurt himself. If he were to burn down the apartment, he's accountable for his own actions but---to avoid possible complications---it would be best if you simply called him a ';visitor'; and not a long-term co-habitator. If it's a house that you live in, and it belongs to you, you should have Homeowners Insurance. This does cover medical costs (up to certain amounts) for visitors that are injured on your property, and also covers for fire damage and etc... .
You are liable to be sued by your house guest for negligence if, for example, you have stairs that need replacing, and your house guest falls down the stairs and hurts himself. Your insurance won't pay for your negligence.





Be sure that your home and contents insurance covers fire and theft.


Your insurance company will cover your house if your house guest burns it down. However, if your house guest does burn it down, your house guest will be obligated to pay the insurance company for any damages done to your property. I highly recommend that you insure your house and contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment